Saturday, November 7, 2009

Around the World and Back Again...



My time in Haiti ended without incident and allowed me to get home a few days early. Overall the program came off wonderfully. The students were very happy and the trainers I was supervising and critiquing did a wonderful job.

As I ended my time in Cap Haitien and started my journey back to LA, I found many small sights to enjoy - a fisherman manning his boat on turbulent seas, the patchwork of rich greens - and perhaps a few to ponder as well.

As I flew across the farms of the Central Plateau and the mountains surrounding them, I could not help but notice the luxurious blanket of vibrant green grasses cut through by angry brown streams steadily eroding the island. These streams turn into brown rivers as they travel down the mountains to the lowland plains; and the muddy rivers cross field after field of cane and banana plantations until their earth laden waters empty into the pristine blue Caribbean. The effluent from these channels can be seen stretching for miles into the vibrant tropical water. From the air you can literally see the island washing away before you.

Haiti has been almost completely deforested through it's many years of struggle. As you cross over the country by air, the international border with the Dominican Republic is clearly identifiable as the lush rain-forests which should cover the whole of Hispanola are noticeably absent in Haiti. Beyond erosion, this has only exacerbated the other problems Haiti faces - poverty, disease, famine - as the once rich supply of natural resources has dwindle perilously low.

When I first came to Haiti, several years ago, I asked a close friend what I should expect. His response was to tell me "It is both the most wonderful and most horrific place you may ever go." I have to say this has held true. For I have found in Haiti some of the most amazing dedicated and resilient and beautiful souls I have ever met, but I have also seen the most devastating poverty and the most overwhelming difficulties of any place I have visited.

Each time I travel there, I can only aspire to leave behind some small thing or some small knowledge which might help alleviate the pain of a struggling land in however minute a way. I know I will return to Haiti and I look forward to it with a great sense of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment